Connect with us

International

ISIS Has Become Latest Threat to Americans Who Remain in Afghanistan

Published

on

President Joe Biden’s national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN during an interview Sunday that the Islamic State (ISIS) poses a huge threat to Americans who remain in Afghanistan. “The threat is real. It is acute. It is persistent. And it is something we are focused on with every tool in our arsenal” said Sullivan.

Horrific scenes have been flooding social media and news outlets of Americans and Afghan allies desperately trying to seek refuge with American military aircraft at the Kabul airport. Efforts to evacuate thousands are continuously underway, fighting an uphill battle after President Biden’s tremendously botched troop withdrawal.

In a completely daft and empty statement, President Biden said, “we know that terrorists may seek to exploit the situation and target innocent Afghans or American troops. We’re maintaining constant vigilance to monitor and disrupt threats from any source.”

The Wall Street Journal reports defense officials have said concerns over potential ISIS attacks are among the reasons the U.S. Embassy warned Americans not to travel to Kabul’s airport, and to avoid airport gates, over the weekend.

The Wall Street Journal reports ISIS is one of several terrorist groups with a presence in Afghanistan. “Each with a different relationship with the Taliban. The Taliban had harbored al Qaeda before that group’s terrorist attacks on the U.S. in 2001, and reports have surfaced that the Taliban have freed al Qaeda fighters from prisons as they gained control of the country this month.”

Additionally, “ISIS and the Taliban have sometimes fought over control of territory in Afghanistan. The Taliban, after taking over Kabul, executed the former head of Islamic State in South Asia, who had been in a government prison” notes the WSJ.

Nearly two dozen countries have agreed to take some number of Afghan refugees and evacuees while they are being processed. On Sunday morning Biden told reporters “there’s discussions going on among us and the military about extending” the deadline for withdrawing troops. “Our hope is that we will not have to extend. But there are going to be discussions I expect about how far along we are in the process” Biden continued.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. BlueBoomerang

    August 24, 2021 at 10:25 am

    Trump was going to get American personnel, Afghan allies and U.S. military equipment out while the military was still present and in place to protect the evacuees. Then, the military would destroy the bases before they ultimately left. Biden just ‘ran scared’, abandoned everyone and let chaos ensue… and without even notifying our allies so they could get their personnel out safely.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Lawmakers Push Biden Not To Reenter Iran Nuclear Deal

“We write to urge you to immediately withdraw from the fruitless Vienna talks to re-enter the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action”

Published

on

Iran

On Wednesday, 110 House Republican lawmakers signed a letter urging President Joe Biden (D) to abandon negotiations with Iran as the Biden administration tries to get Iran to reenter the 2015 Iran nuclear deal – also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

“We write to urge you to immediately withdraw from the fruitless Vienna talks to re-enter the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and instead strongly enforce existing sanctions against Iran, particularly with respect to the oil trade between Iran and the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Further delay of action on this only further enables Iran’s malign activities, including their aggressive nuclear pursuits,” the lawmakers, led by House Foreign Affairs Committee Lead Republican Michael McCaul, wrote.

“The letter is a sign that Republicans are united against reentering the 2015 accord,” The Free Beacon reported. “It also comes as negotiations with Tehran drag into a second year, with the Iranian regime demanding further concessions from the Biden administration, including the full reversal of sanctions on the country’s nuclear program and regional terrorism enterprise.”

“As diplomatic talks resume after months of delays, Iran has greatly expanded its nuclear program, including its enrichment of uranium, a main component in an atomic weapon,” the outlet added. “Iran is now enriching and stockpiling highly enriched uranium, which can only [be] used for a bomb. This work has continued in the face of ongoing sanctions and opposition from the international community. Senior Biden administration officials have acknowledged in recent weeks that Iran is stalling negotiations while it advances its nuclear program.”

The 2015 Iran nuclear deal was widely criticized as Iran used the funds acquired from the deal, which was estimated to be between $100 to $150 billion, to fund terrorist organizations in the Middle East. Iran also reportedly violated the deal after it was passed.

In 2019, Ali Akbar Salehi, the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, revealed that JCPOA negotiations had mandated that Iran destroy parts of their nuclear reactors by filling them with cement. However, Iran secretly acquired replacement parts so that the functionality of those reactors would not be ultimately affected. Salehi also said that pictures of reactors filled with cement had been photoshopped.

“A nuclear agreement with Iran is again on the table, but history has taught us that agreements like this with extremist regimes are worth as much as garlic peel,” former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned earlier this year. “To our best friends I say – an agreement with Iran which paves its way to nuclear weapons that threaten us with destruction – an agreement like this will not bind us.”

Continue Reading

International

Thousands of Afghan Allies And Their Families Still Stranded In Afghanistan

Published

on

Photo by WAKIL KOHSAR/AFP via Getty Images

Thousands of Afghans who helped the United States government and military are still stranded in the Taliban-controlled country, according to a new report from the New York Post.

“The non-profit volunteer organization No One Left Behind says that it is tracking more than 10,000 Afghans who are either eligible for, applied for, or were approved for a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) and have requested help getting out of Taliban-controlled territory,” the New York Post reported. “No One Left Behind also said that it is tracking another 38,000 family members of SIV holders or applicants who remain in Afghanistan and have asked for aid.”

“This is likely a limited picture with more that have not reached out to us, but it underscores the significant volume of people in dire need as winter approaches and Taliban control result[s] in food shortages and human rights abuses, including directly targeting those that helped US forces,” a director at No One Left Behind told the New York Post.

“We are working tirelessly to make sure these people are not left behind, and we will continue to advocate to the [US Government] that they expand the scope of their evacuations to include these American allies,” the director added.

According to the New York Post, Task Force Argo co-founder Jesse Jensen said that his organization is “dealing with a backlog of more than 4,000 people, including family members, who are looking to leave Afghanistan.”

Jensen, a former Army Ranger, stated that that the number of Afghans who want to leave the country is likely far above 4,000 since Task Force Argo had to stop accepting evacuation requests.

“We have really run out of resources in order to do this,” Jensen said. “We’ve had three flights that are paid for, you know we’ll likely have to claw back those funds to return to investors if we don’t see a path to getting these folks out of the country.”

The report comes just the Biden administration admitted that it left hundreds more Americans stranded in Afghanistan after the withdrawal than it previously claimed.

“[W]e believe that about 100 to 200 Americans remain in Afghanistan with some intention to leave,” President Biden said on August 31. “Most of those who remain are dual citizens, long-time residents who had earlier decided to stay because of their family roots in Afghanistan.”

However, since August 31, “the United States has directly assisted 479 American Citizens and 450 lawful permanent residents [in addition to their immediate families] to depart Afghanistan and relocate to the United States,” the State Department admitted in a press release.

According to the State Department, there are less than a dozen U.S. citizens left in Afghanistan who want to leave the terrorist-controlled country, are ready to depart, and have the necessary travel documents.

Last month, a report found that there were still 14,000 U.S. legal permanent residents stranded in Afghanistan at the time and at least 289 U.S. citizens.
Foreign Policy 
reported, “The State Department believes as many as 14,000 U.S. legal permanent residents remain in Afghanistan, Foreign Policy has learned, as the agency faces increasing scrutiny from Congress about the status of U.S. citizens and green card holders that are still stranded in the Taliban-controlled country.”

Continue Reading

Leo's Hot List