Connect with us

Nation

LIBERAL PRIORITIES: Man who shot President Ronald Reagan can now publicly display his artwork, judge rules

John W. Hinckley Jr., the man who tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981, will now be allowed to publicly display his writings, paintings, photographs and other artwork. 

Published

on

John W. Hinckley Jr., the man who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981, will now be allowed to publicly display his writings, paintings, photographs and other artwork. 

The almost-assassin turned artist has previously released and displayed his works anonymously, but a federal judge ruled Wednesday that Hinckley may now put his name on his works as part of ongoing therapy. 

Judge Paul L. Friedman of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia wrote that Hinckley had remained “mentally stable” since 2016, when he was released from the psychiatric facility he had been confined to for decades, according to the New York Times.

Hinckley now lives with his mother in Williamsburg, Virginia. 

Since 2018, the 65 year old has posted his music on SoundCloud and YouTube – with the help of his music therapist – but has been frustrated with the lack of feedback he’d received from the small number of people who have come across his anonymous work. His treatment team requested that he be allowed to use his name. 

And it has been approved. 

You’d think that privilege would be lost after trying to murder the president of the United States, but clearly anything is possible. 

Upon release of his works, Hinckley must notify the forensic outpatient department and his treatment providers so he can discuss the feedback he receives with his doctors, the Times reports. 

And, “if clinically indicated, they may terminate [his] ability to publicly display his creative works,” Friedman wrote. 

In an interview, Hinckley said he wants to make money off his art. 

“I create things I think are good and, like any other artist, I would like to profit from it and contribute more to my family,” he said. “I feel like I could help my mother and brother out if I could make money from my art.” 

But, it remains unclear whether the judge’s order will allow Hinckley to profit from the sales. 

On March 30, 1981, Hinckley – 25 years old and suffering from acute psychosis – fired six shots, seriously injuring President Reagan outside a hotel in Washington. 

Caught in the crossfire were James S. Brady, the White House press secretary; Timothy J. McCarthy, a Secret Service agent; and Thomas K. Delahanty, a Washington police officer. 

James Brady sustained permanent brain damage and eventually died from his injuries in 2014. 

In 1982, Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity, a decision that shocked much of the country. He was sent to St. Elizabeth’s, a psychiatric hospital, where he remained until 2016. 

Though he’s been awarded arguably too many freedoms, he still faces several prohibitions, including continued restriction of contacting Jodie Foster, members of the Reagan family, or members of James Brady’s family. 

Judge Friedman said that Mr. Hinckley “will not pose a danger to himself or others due to mental illness if permitted to continue residing in the community” under the terms of his release, according to the Times. 

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. r hilliard

    October 29, 2020 at 6:29 pm

    “Judge Friedman said that Mr. Hinckley “will not pose a danger to himself or others due to mental illness if permitted to continue residing in the community” under the terms of his release, according to the Times.”…in other words…..keep him out of jail before he’ll do it again…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nation

Employees Completely Helpless as Shoplifters Walk Out With Thousands Worth of Goods at Oregon Lowes

Published

on

shoplifter

Social media Twitter account @libsoftiktok which states in the bio it posts “all things insane & hypocritical” posted a one-minute video showing “2 people walk out of an Oregon Lowe’s with carts of stolen merchandise. Employees look on and are unable to do anything.”

As the video plays, words highlighted red appear that read, “INCREDIBLE STATE OF OREGON, USA” and “IF YOU KNOW THESE PEOPLE, PLEASE ALERT THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY.” The video takes place at a Lowes store and epitomizes the sad times we are in.

Within the first eight seconds of the video, the two robbers, with filled carts, simply stroll out of the store as if they were paying customers. The Lowes employee asks the men “can you show me the receipts?” The young man appears to flash something while saying “right here.”

The female employee then says “no, I don’t think so” knowing the men did not pay for the items. The two thieves continue to walk the carts out of the store and a second, elderly Lowes employee attempts to stop the men, shouting “hey” as he follows them.

The female employee stops the elderly male employee from pursuing the robbers saying, “it’s not worth it.” As the robbers have successfully exited the store, into the parking lot, the male recording the video then asks the employees, “doesn’t it suck you guys can’t do anything? I mean I think it’s just amazing.”

The video then shows the men in the parking lot throwing the stolen items into a red Subaru where it appears others were waiting to help. A voice can be heard explaining that the guys are packing the car with stolen goods, and another man explains it happens “every day.”

“Dude that’s thousands of dollars – I’m an electrician, bro” the videographer explains of the sheer amount of goods being stolen. The thieves close the back door and the videographer zooms in to the back of the car to show the “license tag” before the car speeds away. The red highlighted words “IF YOU KNOW THESE PEOPLE, PLEASE ALERT THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY” remained on the video the whole time.

Continue Reading

Nation

U.S. Military Hands out Toys, Hygiene Products to Afghan Refugees Arriving at Fort McCoy

Published

on

Fort McCoy

11 flights are reported to have landed at Volk Field Air National Guard at Camp Douglas, Wisconsin yesterday, according to the Director of Public Affairs of the 88th Readiness Division at Ft. McCoy.

Wisconsin’s local NBC station reports, “Transportation, temporary housing, medical screening, and general support are being provided for 50,000 Afghan evacuees as quickly as possible.”

“It was not specified the number of refugees that had arrived on those flights” and there are already a few thousand Afghan refugees living at Fort McCoy. More will reportedly be arriving in the coming days.

In time, more than 10,000 men, women, and children may get processed through the fort before relocating across the country according to figures released by both the Department of Defense, along with state and local officials and agencies” WXOW News 19.

 Video shows U.S. Army Soldiers handing out toys and basic necessities such as soap and other hygiene products to the refugees as they arrive at the Fort McCoy base. “Items being handed out are part of 1,600 comfort kits currently being issued by the American Red Cross, reports the U.S. Army 181st Multifunctional Training Brigade.”

“The Department of Defense, through U.S. Northern Command, with the support of the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security is assisting in the effort.
The initiative will provide Afghan personnel essential support at secure locations outside Afghanistan” adds the NBC News affiliate.

WXOW News 19 detailed a “day in the life” at the fort with the refugees:

Q: What is the day-to-day life currently for the Afghan people?

A: The Afghans are free to conduct their lives as they desire. On any given day you might see some folks jogging or walking in the morning for exercise. Women are washing clothes and hanging them on clotheslines for drying. Kids are playing with balls and a soccer field is available for games. Places of worship with prayer rugs are available to accommodate religious needs. Dining facilities are open for meals. Miscellaneous personal items and some food and drinks are available for purchase through post exchange trailers located in the neighborhoods.

Q: What kind of food is being offered/prepared for them?

A: Dining facilities are available for all meals, and a grab-and-go option is also offered. Culturally appropriate food is available.

Q: What kind of help/volunteers are being allowed on base and what kind of services are currently being offered?

A: We have the USO on the ground to support Soldiers who are part of Task Force McCoy. We are working with a number of interagency partners and non-governmental organizations. These include the Department of Homeland Security, Department of State, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and International Rescue Committee, to name a few. Also on the ground to support Task Force McCoy are Team Rubicon, American Red Cross, and Catholic Charities of the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Q: Are vaccinations for COVID-19 being offered and are Afghans encouraged to wear masks on base or is it mandated for all persons on base?

A: Medical screening is one of the services offered. Afghans are tested for COVID-19 and will receive COVID-19 vaccinations. Afghans are asked to wear masks.

Continue Reading

Leo's Hot List